Sunday, January 16, 2011

Back in Peru

My feet are sticking to the floor of the internet cafe as I write. I hear the lady counting out a customer´s change in Spanish. My fingers are trying to remember the differences between this keyboard and an American one. I´m back in Peru.

I enjoyed being at home for a couple weeks. Ok, well,¨enjoyed¨ would honestly be an understatement. It was awesome to be able to see my family and a few friends. Maybe I went a little crazy on American restaurants and Mom´s homecooking, or maybe not. I don´t think I´ve ever loved Taco Bell as much as I did for those last two weeks.

This week I´ve been trying to decide if going home for a bit was a good thing. I don´t regret seeing my family at all, but I wonder if I should have just stayed down here and had my family just come visit. It´s definitely been a little harder being back here just because I was reminded of what I don´t have down here. But this week I´ve also been reminded of what I don´t have back home.

I love the simplicity of life here in Peru. The loving people. I love that when I´m here, I´m here. I don´t have to worry about school, paying for gas, my future. I only have time to focus on what´s happening each day, each moment. And maybe that´s how I should have been living my life all along. Isn´t that what the Bible says? ¨Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.¨ I forget about that verse all too often.

I just keep reminding myself, I´m only here for three and a half more months. It´s just a tiny percentage of my life. I need to make the most of the short time I have here. So, here it goes, on to more adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment