Sunday, January 2, 2011

Lots of Time in Starbucks

December 21, 2010


I’m currently on a train to Machu Picchu with my family. I’m really glad to have them here with me after not seeing them for the past 4 months. Although after seeing them I feel as though I only left home just yesterday. So, what’s been happening so far? Well, my vacation started on Wednesday. I got up bright and early to finis packing (4:00 am). It was still chilly from the rain we had the day before. I put my last minute things in my over-sized backpack, and then the Doc was read to head out to pick up Chris and Caleb at Km 8.

We went through security, which was almost a joke; we didn’t take off our shoes and I took in a full Nalgene without a fuss. Our flight was beautiful as we traveled over the Andes. The morning sun was peeking over the ridges and revealing the villages that dotted the landscape. We “oohed” and “ahhed” as we admired the breathtaking scenery.

I was going to be visiting Chris Cloze in Lima. His office had kindly arranged a taxi to pick me up. The guys decided they wanted to go by the Inca market and to some last minute shopping for family and friends. Due to some heavy traffic from the airport we only had thirty minutes to shop before the boys had to be back for their flight. We speed shopped. I had fun helping Caleb haggle; although I’m pretty sure we still got ripped off. Before we knew it the thirty minutes were up and Chris and Caleb had to get back to the airport. I said my goodbyes and waved them off as the taxi took them back.

I went up to Chris’s office to wait until he returned from his appointment. I greeted Ruth, his really cool secretary. I like her; she’s nice, funny, and likes to sing at work, which provides for good entertainment. Unfortunately, she is leaving. Ruth greeted me and said they had been worried. Apparently, it took longer than usual to get to the Union office from the airport. I told her there had been a lot of traffic. We made small talk as I used Chris’s computer.

The rest of my day went like this:

• Went to Starbucks and skyped with Molly and my family
• Met Chris and his brother Alex for lunch at the Adventist school.
• Hung out in Chris’s office.
• Checked into my hostel.
• Skyped with Aimee.
• Went to Wong
• Went to English class with Chris.
• Before that, checked on show times for Narnia with Alex.
• Went to Won to buy supper/snacks for the movie.
• Stood outside the theater eating some of our food and debating whether or not they would let us bring in our food.
• Decided to sneak in our food.
• Got our food into the theater.
• Watched Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn reader in 3D while freezing my feet off.
• Went back to my hostel.
• Took my first hot shower since being in Lima
• Felt quite independent staying in a hostel in Lima by myself.

The next day in Lima was pretty uneventful. I mostly hung out in Chris’s office and Starbucks, and Wong. It was nice to just relax without having to dodge flies or swat cockroaches.

The Christmas traffic on the way back to the airport that evening was horrendous, but luckily I wasn’t in a hurry since my family wouldn’t be getting in until 12:00 AM.
I sat in Starbucks waiting, waiting, anticipating, sleeping a little, and then waiting some more. Finally, I heard their flight announced over the intercom. I went down to join the hoard of people awaiting their family members and friends. As I waited I wondered whom all these people were waiting for. Family they hadn’t seen in days, weeks, years? Friends visiting from various countries? Potential employees? I wanted to know each of their stories. But mostly I wanted to see my own family. I stood in the mob fidgeting, smelling some bad breath, being pushed, nudged, and ignored for nearly an hour until finally I saw my family coming through the sliding doors. I ran and pushed my way through the crowd to hug my mom, dad, and brother. It was a sweet reunion.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was fun to read about Caleb driving in first gear for so long. Funny. And way to teach your adult students such a perfect song. Sounds like they loved it.

    ReplyDelete