Friday, May 13, 2011

What I miss

After reading Hanna’s last few blogs and nearly crying, I thought about all the things about Peru that I miss since being back home. Here are just a few things (warning: some may be the same as what Hanna said she will miss).

1. My family.
2. Waking up to roosters in the morning.
3. Having chickens to eat my leftovers. (It hurt me to toss out some food the other night, I wished I had the chickens to gobble it all up).
4. Hailing a taxi, motorcar, or combi. (While I’m happy to have a car to drive, it is SO much cheaper to ride public transportation, and I got to meet people).
5. Sitting around the table at Km 38 in the evenings.
6. Being yelled at by Elias in his room telling all of us to be quiet so he could sleep.
7. Elias’s laugh.
8. Hearing the boys yell, “Refresco!” in the afternoons.
9. My students tackling me as I arrived at class.
10. Making watery, milky oatmeal for breakfast EVERY morning.
11. The produce lady in Campo Verde.
12. The corner shop lady in Campo Verde.
13. All the shop owners in Campo Verde.
14. Eating pollo and papas fritas with the chicos.
15. Speaking Spanish.
16. Showering outside with cold water (I have actually been ending my showers with cold water).
17. Brushing my teeth under the stars.
18. Hearing the Doctor’s kids play outside after school.
19. Buying biscocho and pan integral at the Ucayali bakery.
20. The internet ladies in Pucallpa.
21. Internet users in Pucallpa.
22. Alfredo, the coolest taxi driver.
23. Chickens and dogs running through church.
24. Hermana Lucia singing hymns off-tune.
25. Hermana Lucia announcing the special music that I had “prepared for all week.”
26. My Santa Elvita kids.
27. Sipping fresh squeezed orange juice at Leidy’s on a blistering hot afternoon.
28. Playing with Jackie and Charles, my two favorite Peruvian kids.
29. Cheek to Cheek greetings.
30. Cooking with Hanna and Rebecca.

Oh, I could go on for quite a while, but I won’t risk boring you. What I miss most of all, though, are the people. I miss sharing laughs and good conversations, and just sitting in the same room with them, even if no words were spoken. What hurts me the most is that I can never go back to that time. I only have my memories to remind me. Thankfully, I can replay the reel as many times as I want. So, pardon me while I hit repeat.

2 comments:

  1. Jeness! I miss ALL of those things. Especially those darn chickens. Thanks for sharing those memories with me.

    ReplyDelete