Friday, April 29, 2011

Into the Wild

April 23, 2011

Saturday we decided that instead of going to Church, we would go on a hike in search of some aguas calientes and waterfalls. Since this would be the only chance for all of us to do something fun together.

We woke up early, loaded a boat and took a three hour tour in search of the waterfall. To get to this waterfall we had to boat into a tiny off-shoot of the river and then hike in about an hour over hilly terrain. It was a fun hike and the most exercise I’d had probably the whole time I’ve been here.

The hike was pretty and reminded me a lot of Indonesia, rain forest, green, lush. I saw a few of those bright glue butterflies that you usually only see in frames.

We reached our destination, a beautiful large waterfall surrounded by luscious nature. The water was quite warm-like bath water, and in some places like a Jacuzzi. I’d actually wished for cold water to cool off from the hike. But this was quite wonderful as well. When we arrived, half the group had hiked in a little ways further to where there was a small waterfall and wading pool.

We hiked back in and played for hours, enjoying the nature and each others’ company. We also found a slightly smaller waterfall that had cold water. It was a great bonding day and I wished we could have done something like that sooner.

The trip back to Inahuaya was longer because we were traveling up river. We stopped ion the way so the Doc could make a phone call. Meanwhile, the rest of us swam about in the river-it was really refreshing. I was a little nervous about piranhas biting my feet, but fortunately I didn’t feel any nibbling.

On the way back we had sundown worship on the boat and sang. It touched my heart to be altogether worshipping in nature. I almost cried, almost. But I had to save up my tears for my farewell to my Peruvian family.

No comments:

Post a Comment